Correct Use of the Male Condom
1. Always use a new latex or polyurethane condom for each act of vaginal or anal intercourse. (Condoms are also recommended for oral sex with a partner who is known to have HIV, Herpes, or STD status is not known) When opening the package, do so carefully, to avoid damaging the condom.
2. Before direct sexual contact with a partner, place the condom over the head of the erect penis, leaving about a 1/2 inch of space at the end. Please note: Uncircumcised individuals will need to pull back the foreskin before placing the condom over the head the penis.
3. The condom should fit over snugly over the head of the penis, with the rolled brim outside so that it will easily easily down the shaft. Carefully squeeze the tip of the condom to remove any excess air.
4. Hold the tip of the condom and unroll it all the way down to the base of your penis. If using a lubricant, make sure it is water based. Please note: Oil based lubricant will dissolve latex, rendering the condom ineffective. Also, it is not recommended to use spermicide nonoxynol-9, which can in actually increase the risk of transmitting HIV.
5. If the condom breaks, withdraw immediately. Throw the condom away and use a new condom.
6. After ejaculation, hold the condom at the base of the penis and withdraw. This is done to keep it from coming off while it is still in a partner’s vagina, anus, or mouth. Gently peel the used condom off the tip of your penis and throw it away. Never use a condom more than once.