Being aware of the signs and symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in males is important. It is extremely important to listen to body.
Below is a list of the top 10 STD symptoms found in men:
1. Painful Urination: This can be the result of a number of STDs including Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, or Trichomoniasis.
2. Discharge from the Penis: Discharge that is sticky, milky, mucus- like, cloudy, thick, or bloody could be due to Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, or Trichomoniasis.
3. Sores, Bumps, or Blisters on the Penis and Genital Area, Anus, Tongue or Lips: Small painless sores can be a symptom of Syphilis, while small red bumps, blisters or open sores may be symptoms of Herpes.
4. Fever: This can be a vague symptom as many illnesses can cause a fever. However, when your body is fighting the early stages of HIV or Syphilis, this may be your only symptom.
5. Itching: Gonorrhea can cause anal itching, Trichomoniasis can cause itching inside the penis, Herpes can cause itching around the genital area, butt, and inner thighs, and Hepatitis can cause generalized itching.
6. Pain: Testicular pain may be due to Chlamydia or Gonorrhea, while pain during sex may be due to Trichomoniasis. Gonorrhea can also cause painful bowel movements. Additionally, Herpes can cause pain around the genital area, butt, and inner thighs, and Hepatitis can cause muscle or joint pain as well as abdominal pain especially around your liver (right side beneath your lower ribs).
7. Swollen Lymph Glands: This may be one of the first symptoms of HIV or Syphilis.
8. Fatigue: This could be a symptom of either HIV or Syphilis.
9. Headache: This could be an early symptom of HIV.
10. Rash: Again, this could be an early symptom of HIV.
Keep in mind that a significant number people who contract STDs will remain symptom free, and while condoms are highly effective for preventing the spread of STD, they are not 100% effective. It is important if you are experiencing any of these symptoms to seek STD testing to identify the infection and to find treatment.
For a lighter and more humorous look at STD symptoms in men please read our Top 10 STD Symptoms Your Man Lies About Just to Have Sex with You.